Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Alfred, Lord Tennyson – The Karken

Tennyson wrote a poem about a large mythical sea monster, what could be more Victorian? This is one of the poems where I just had to put my book down, and laugh, thinking to myself “How do people come up with this stuff?” I then had to look up exactly what a Kraken was. I loaded some images for your enjoyment…






These are delightful. After reading this poem the rest of Tennyson couldn’t be anything else but creepy and weird to me. He writes, “Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green./ There hath he lain for agaes and will lie/ Battening upon huge sea worms in his sleep” These are not the lush, romantic images I was used to in our reading. It wasn’t even gory, but it is still graphic. In these lines he is describing a huge sea monster flailing it’s enormous arms, which I imagine are scaly and slimly. The image also includes this beast devouring worms. Oddly enough this creature is peaceful. He is thought to be in actuality an oversized squid, which peacefully sleeps at the bottom of the ocean. This poem proves to me that poetry and literature can entail anything and everything.

5 comments:

... said...

I think the Karken is one of my favorite poems by Tennyson. There is something magical and unsettling about this strange creature. I almost feel sorry for the poor thing. Great photos! They were nothing like I had imagined the Kraken to be, but they were interesting to see.

Jonathan.Glance said...

Lindsay,

Excellent pictures! Where in the world did you find them? By the way, the Kraken also appears in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and also in Clash of the Titans (probably before your time). Good comments on the poem, too.

jholtz11 said...

Wow... Intense pics. I like this poem too... It really reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean you know?

Costen said...

This was certainly amusing. The images are also great and fit well with the text. It sparked a bit of humor in me also. The name of the creature is even amazing. "Kraken!" I sure wish I had an imagination like that.

OnDrawnWings said...

Hello. I found this post because I am the illustrator of the Kraken on the left. I'm glad some of you liked it. It took me seven days to complete because there are many more sailors in the scene.

My site is here:

http://www.ryandurney.com/

incase you are curious.