Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The French Revolution and Helen Williams

The French and the English have never gotten along, at least there are virtually no records of it in history. Her writings were surprisingly civil. She was a competent individual, and Englishwoman but she was not unpleasant. Her letters were pleasant, they shared her journeys and views of France, and surprisingly enough they were not negative. Her letters brought something very interesting to my attention, is ones nationality based on birth or based on love for a country? My grandparents on my Father’s side are full Mexican, they moved her about 50 years ago, they don’t speak English very well, they only eat at Mexican restarunts and are as traditional as they come, we even eat tamales on “Feliez Navidad.” My grandparents on my mother’s side are full Scottish. They also came to the United States about 50 years ago. Granted it was probably a lot easier for them to adjust, I see them embracing American culture but still being respectful of where they came form. Does there love for America make them American? My mother has lived her since she was 2 but she is a “naturalized citizen” something about that sounds very capitalistic. For some reasons these letters made me think about nationality, Williams’ letters wer not what I expected for writing of the French revolution, they were not hateful, I don’t know any Englishmen or women, I don’t even know Scottish men or women, that would speak kindly of the French. Thus, I am intrigued by the thought that ones love for a country could out weigh the importance of their birthplace.

3 comments:

... said...

I am glad to have read your blog about this poem. I have the most difficult time trying to understand it. Your interpretation made me re-read the poem again. I never thought of the idea of the narrator's rejection being the main focus. Thanks for the insight.

Jonathan.Glance said...

Lindsay,

Very interesting meditation on origin and nationality, with lots of good examples from your own family history. Not exactly a thorough analysis of Williams, perhaps, but still OK.

Stacey said...

Lindsay,
That's an interesting perspective. I also wrote about the French Revolution and Helen Williams and I had not thought about it the way you did. You asked whether nationality is based on birthplace or love for country. I think it is appropriate to be assigned birthplace as a default nationality, and if you want to denounce your birthplace nationality for another it should be done officially. Thank you for the interesting perspective.